Dr. Md. Shamsul Hoque obtained his B.Sc. Engg. Degree (Civil) in 1984 from BUET, M.Sc. Engg. in Transportation Engg. from the same university in 1987 and PhD in 1994 from University of Southampton, UK. The title of his PhD thesis was “Modeling of Signalized Intersection in Developing Countries”. Now he is the Professor at the Department of Civil Engineering, BUET. He is the former Director of Accident Research Institute (ARI) and Director of Dhaka Mass Transit Company Limited (DMTCL).
So far he has delivered two PhD and 40 Master’s Degrees, has published more than 200 nos. Journal & Conference papers (including one in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS), USA) and also published a book on ‘Highway and Railway Engineering’ from Austria. He is the transport planner of Hatirjheel Project, Kuril Flyover, Zillur Rahman Trumpet Flyover, Master planner of Karnaphuli Container Terminal (KCT) and contributor of Transport Infrastructure Strategies for Strategic Transport Plan (STP), 7th Five Year Plan, Bangladesh Delta Plan-2100 Formulation Project and National Conservation Strategy (NCS) Project, International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN).
In road safety engineering discipline, so far Dr. Hoque has awarded one PhD and four master’s degree and undertaken twelve research works at undergraduate levels. Published 45 nos. road safety related papers in international Journals and Conferences. He is the Principal Author and Editor of Driver’s Instructor Manual (364 pages) and Rural Road Safety Manual for LGED. Besides he has investigated 18 nos. major road accident incidents. He is the member of National Road Safety Council (NRSC). He was involved in national committee formed by the Prime Minister for the preparation of ‘Road Safety Curriculum’ to be included in the Primary and Secondary School Text Book.
Dr. Hoque has been extensively involved in wide varieties of civil engineering consultancy and construction projects in Bangladesh including mass transit, road, bridges, flyovers, interchanges, inland container depot (ICD) etc. As a Consultant, so far he had been involved with more than 70 projects. Mentionable are:
- Planner & Designer – Old Airport Link Road (from PM office to Agargaon)
- Transport Planner – Hatirjheel Project
- Planner – Kuril Flyover/interchange (which is the first of its kind in Bangladesh)
- Planner Zillur Rahman Flyover at Banani
- Strategic Transport Plan 2004-20024 (STP) for Dhaka
- MRT-6 and BRT-3
- Payra Deep Sea Port Master Plan Preparation
- Mayor Mohammad Hanif Flyover/Jatrabari-Gulistan Flyover
- Mouchak-Moghbazar Flyover Project
- Dhaka Elevated Expressway (DEE) and Dhaka Ashulia Elevated Expressway (DAEE)
- Chittagong-Cox’s bazar Expressway PPP Project
- New-Mooring Container Terminal (NCT) (Planner) & Pangaon Container Terminal (ICT) (Planner)
- 3km long with 11 Jetties Karnaphuli Container Terminal (KCT) (Master Planner)
- Chittagong Port park Inland Container Depot (ICD, designer of 62,000 sq.m joint-less continuous rigid concrete pavement (CRCP) – which is the first of its kind in Bangladesh.
- Dhaka Hazarat Shahjalal International Airport Runway Strengthen Project
- Chittagong Shah Amanat International Airport Runway Strengthen Project
- Sylhet Osmani International Airport Runway Strengthen Project
- Uttara Model Town Development (3rd Phase) Project
- Dharala bridge (Rangpur), Kanchan bridge (Shitalakhy), Paiser Hat bridge (Barishal)
- Bangladesh: Coastal Climate Resilient Infrastructure Project